Organizing a bocce ball tournament is a great way to let everyone participate in the game and have fun. If you have lots of friends, this effort can be highly rewarding. The game is great fun because the drama is palpable and the stakes are high.
Bocce is surprisingly accessible. Just about anyone can participate in the game. In this post, we are going to discuss how to organize a bocce ball tournament. We will also explain how a bocce ball tournament can benefit the participants.
Before we go into the details of organizing a bocce tournament, let’s see why you should care about it. Here are the reasons why organizing a bocce ball tournament is a good idea.
Why Organize a Bocce Ball Tournament?
It’s Fun – Bocce is a low-impact game, and it is highly enjoyable. It’s to set aside life’s worries and stressors for a little while. Bocce combines light exercise and social activity. So, playing this game is a great way to socialize and have fun. A bocce tournament can really help you reconnect with your friends and relieve stress.
Improved Coordination – This game requires hand-eye coordination. To get the ball close to the jack, players have to release the ball at exactly the right time. Players get better at it with practice.
Light Cardiovascular Exercise – Everybody who participates in this low-impact game has some light cardiovascular exercise. The game requires moving up and down, and it can be highly beneficial for middle-aged and older people.
It’s a Great Way to Relieve Stress – The main reason to pay bocce is to enjoy yourself. The game is popular partly because it relieves stress. Many studies have shown that exercise can actually improve your mood.
Mindfulness – Modern life is full of stressors. Playing bocce is a great way to practice some mindfulness. When you engage in the game, you actually engage in a Zen-like state because the game requires sustained focus. Organize a bocce ball tournament for the benefit of your friends, neighbors, and relatives.
How to Organize a Bocce ball Tournament (It’s Easier than You Think)
If you are a little bit strategic, you can organize a tournament pretty quickly. Here are the steps:
- Plan Ahead – Plan well in advance of when you would like to hold the tournament, preferably a couple of months beforehand.
- Create a Budget and Stick to It – Make sure to account for things like course rental, promotional material, signage, and food or drink costs, among others. An accurate budget increases the likelihood that your tournament will be a success.
- Look for Sponsors – This can be tough. But with a good plan and budget in place and an overview of what makes your tournament unique, the process will be easier. Networking will also play a huge part in getting you connected to the right people.
- Choose the Best Venue – Factor in each potential field’s capacity and available facilities. For those wondering how to organize a bocce ball tournament, choosing a good venue is half the job.
- Figure Out How Participants will Register for Your Tournament – You might provide a phone number or email address to be used for registration. Or you might want to create a registration website.
- Traveling Planning Needs – If you are a technology whiz, you can probably set this up on your own. But if not, get in touch win a travel planning specialist.
- Take Care of Promotional and Marketing Materials – Signs and flyers that will be posted in the area are a must, as is with online advertising. With regard to promotional materials, consider whether you want custom-made t-shirts or trophies for your event.
- Find Volunteers – You will need referees as well as staff on hand to answer questions or run check-ins. You may also want volunteer photographers or videographers.
- Make a Checklist for the Day of the Tournament – Will you be responsible for providing food and/or drinks to participants? Do you have a check-in process? Delegate all tasks as necessary. Make sure that the checklist includes all major activities on the day of the tournament.
Bocce Ball Tournament Rules
Now that you know how to organize a bocce ball tournament, let’s take a look at the tournament rules of the game. Bocce is played with 8 plastic resin balls. Each ball is 4 inches in diameter. The standard weight of a bocce ball is 1.75 pounds. The smaller ball is referred to as jack or Pallino. Here are the main rules:
Teams and Court
There are typically four players in each bocce team. Two players from each team stand at the end of the bocce court. To determine which team will throw the Pallino, a coin is tossed. The team that wins the toss has to choose which player is going to toss the Pallino.
Sequence of Play
When tossing the Pallino, the player has to make sure that the ball passes the center line and avoids hitting the back wall. If the player fails to throw it properly, the other team will get the Pallino.
When a Pallino is being rolled, no player is allowed to stay on the court. The player has to toss again in case the ball goes straight to the backboard. The other team gets the chance when the ball is in position.
The players roll the balls consecutively until one team manages to send the ball closer to the jack than the opponent team. Until one or both teams have used up all the balls, the play alternates.
Special Rules for Throwing the Balls
Players toss bocce balls in such a way that they hit the ground. A ball is removed from the court if it hits the backboard. A ball is not removed if it hits another ball. If the ball first hits the backboard and then hits another ball, the hit ball is placed in the original position.
When you are planning an event, unexpected things can happen. We have discussed various aspects of bocce ball, and how to organize a bocce ball tournament. If you take care of the things we have focused on, you can look forward to a great bocce ball tournament.